Thursday, April 11, 2013

The great pillow debate

I've been paralyzed lately when it comes to making design decisions for Dixon. We have a long window seat in our breakfast nook and I let myself become overwhelmed with what do with it.  Since I could NOT make a decision for the life of me, I tried to make a list of definites (I am an obsessive list maker). Here is what I knew I wanted:
#1 - Keep it neutral (black, white, gray, camel, navy) to balance out all the color in our living room rug and entry
#2 - Needs to work with the gray roman shades that were just installed (had to make a quick decision and so far I dont regret it. . . . )
#3 - Need to use outdoor fabric where possible and use a solid for the seat cushion, preferable gray or black outdoor fabric with white piping.
#4 - Variety of sizes needed is probably (2) 20 x 20, (2) 18 x 18 and 1 or 2 lumbar pillows

I started scouring Etsy for inspiration and a starting point and came up with these:

Option 1:

Option 2:
Option 3:
Option 4:

Do I sound terribly OCD that I then started to go through each one and pick out what I liked most and rule out any pillows that weren't practical (i.e. (2) 20 x 20 pillows in Kelly Wearstler's Bengal Bazaar at $100+ each. . . while I adore the pattern, probably not the best fabric to be around food.

I have loved  David Hicks La Fiorentina pattern for a while and almost couldn't pick between the camel or the gray (price ultimately won me over)

The stripes are great because they are available in outdoor fabric and will ultimately go with anything in the future. . . and while I love navy, I think the black and white looks better with gray. . . sorry, navy but maybe you can play in our mudroom

I also considered the living room adjacent to the breakfast nook and think I will likely end up pulling a few of these patterns (read between the lines - LEOPARD :))in there. So ultimately we ended up with this:

While I still kept the Bengal Bazaar pattern, the small pillow was a fraction of the cost of the larger ones and the cover can be removed and cleaned if needed. In the end, if you LOVE something you won't regret buying it and will always be able to find a place for it in your home.

We still need to have the cushion made for the windowseat bench, but I THINK I will love a black outdoor fabric with white piping. And maybe this on the seats of my Chinese Chippendale chairs?





No comments:

Post a Comment