Sunday, February 12, 2012

stay the night

Currently the guest bedroom is a hodge podge of bedroom pasts (headboard I have had since college - check, curtains from my last bedroom makeover  - check, random desk and dressers that have migrated to the room - check). I like the wall color and the contrast with the curtains and think I have FINALLY decided what I want to do. Hopefully putting the awful current picture will give me the push I need to get this project complete.
 first up is a new headboard. . . . I love upholstered headboards and like the shape of this one, but am also contemplating just doing a tufted headboard, with brass buttons . . plus finding aqua/teal linen that isn't $20 a yard is proving a bit difficult. To cover the whole headboard, plus upholster the frame (for a nice tidy bedskirt to hide the risers and christmas decorations underneath) you are looking at close to 10 yards, so I am shooting in something in the $5-10 range. Even with an arm load of jo-ann's coupons and scouring some of the sketchy stores on harry hines, this may require me to just dye fabric to get the color I want.
My lovely talented mother is making new shams in this great blue fabric that I found in Oklahoma City (this fabric store was a-m-a-zing, I felt like a kid in a candy store, and was slightly embarrassed on how giddy textiles made me). I think between that, the current coral shantung pillows and these little aqua trimmed pillowcases from west elm (I bought them on sale, yes!) this pricey peacock beauty from anthropologie needs to rest on the guest bed and keep Lucy company.

For the floor, I have my eye on this shades of light rug. Side note - before the new carpet last year an area rug was ESSENTIAL to this room to hide the 2 foot paint stain from when we repainted this room, and I spilled half the gallon on the floor, hahaha.

Now here is my dilemma, as you can see in the corner I have 2 lovely IKEA dressers. . . . . I am in love with the concept of Overlays to spruce up IKEA furniture.


This is genius - fretwork and gorgeous designs you simply glue onto IKEA furniture  - go to their website you will be amazed at how many different ideas/options there are (plus they are running a sale on their website right now). The dilemma is if I really want to paint and put money into these dressers? They are kind of wonky and not the most sturdy (since I assembled them myself 4 years ago, duh) and more than likely will never be moving out of our current place, is it worth the effort?

I'm also debating giving the nightstands a facelift. . . . 
They were my parents, so I think just giving them some new jewelry from anthropologie and one of these ombre beauties I spotted at the Container store last week to hold extra towels and sheets will be just the thing.

So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment