Thursday, April 18, 2013

The best chicken and broccoli + fried rice

I know. . . big claim, but I have seriously been making this at least once a week after I discovered it. Plus - the chicken and broccoli are 100% crockpot magic. The chicken and broccoli recipe is a variation of  this Skinnytaste Asian Pork and Mushrooms and the rice is a tweak to this Gwyneth Paltrow fried rice recipe.

Crockpot Chicken and Broccoli
2 chicken breasts 
1/2 c. reduced sodium chicken broth (if chicken is frozen you can omit)
1/2 c. reduced sodium soy sauce 
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. agave
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 -2 tsp. grated ginger (or powdered)
crushed red pepper
salt and pepper
sliced mushrooms
chopped broccoli

Stir together soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, agave and spices and pour over chicken in the crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred chicken and add mushrooms and broccoli and cook on high for 30 minutes. 

Healthy Fried Rice
1 bag instant brown rice
2 eggs
2-3 handfuls of chopped kale (I know scientific right? I buy the big bags so I'm not sure how much I exactly use)
chopped green onion
1 tbsp. minced garlic
soy sauce
olive oil
Cook rice per directions on box. While the rice is cooking, slice the kale in thin strips (Again - I use the bag of chopped kale so I just chop it a little bit more and remove any large stems) and steam 5-7 minutes. Add olive oil to pan (trust me - even those great non-stick pans will need olive oil or spray for all the goodness you are about to add). Scramble or fry the egg in a large skillet and then add the garlic and green onion to sautee for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and kale and cook for another minute. Add brown rice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment